Unemployment Insurance in California

The Law Office of Cyrus Mor represents California residents who are denied unemployment insurance benefits by the Employment Development Department ( EDD). Our unemployment lawyer represents our clients at California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board (CUIAB) hearings. Contact our office today for a free consultation and case evaluation for your EDD appeal.

What should you do if you are denied unemployment insurance benefits in California?

  • If the Employment Development Department (EDD) has denied your request for unemployment insurance benefits, you have the right to file an appeal to challenge the EDD's decision.
  • Your appeal must be filed within 20 days of the date listed on your EDD Notice of Determination. If more than 20 days have lapsed, your appeal may be denied unless good cause can be shown for filing late.
  • The EDD will then forward your case to the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board (CUIAB) who will process your appeal and schedule you a hearing. The CUIAB will subsequently send you a Notice of Hearing. The Notice of Hearing will include the date, time, and location of your hearing.
  • At your unemployment appeal hearing, your most recent employer may be present. Your employer may bring witnesses to the hearing who may be entitled to present testimony at your hearing. Your employer may have other documentary evidence that they may attempt to introduce into evidence at your unemployment hearing.

Our firm is committed to providing cost-effective representation to assist you with your EDD Appeal. Our unemployment lawyer will analyze the evidence and facts of your case, assist in the preparation of your written appeal, and will personally represent you at your EDD Appeal Hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. Our EDD appeal lawyer has extensive experience providing clients with legal services for EDD appeals in California.

When you contact our unemployment attorney, you will be provided with a free consultation to asses whether good facts exist for your appeal. Our attorney will provide you with honest feedback about your case.

  • Our firm has experience presenting his client’s cases to the administrative law judge in a clear, concise, and organized manner.
  • Our attorney will effectively cross-examine your most recent employer and any witnesses to ensure that all relevant facts are ascertained.

Contact our office to receive additional information about the appeals process and the services that we provide to our clients.

Applying for unemployment insurance benefits?

You can apply for Unemployment Insurance Benefits with the EDD (Employment Development Department) if you are currently unemployed or employed part-time. In order to receive Unemployment Benefits, you must be (1) ready to accept work, (2) physically able to work, (3) actively seeking work, and (4) unemployed due to no fault of your own.

The amount of benefits you can receive depends on your earnings during a specific 12 month period. Weekly benefit amounts range from a minimum of $40.00 to a maximum of $450.00. Your claim will remain effective for one year and you can receive from 12-26 weeks of Unemployment Benefits. If you file a claim for Unemployment, you will need to provide the EDD with information regarding your most recent employer and the reason(s) for which you are no longer working.

Fired from your job?

If you were discharged or terminated from your job, you still may be eligible to receive Unemployment Benefits if specific criteria are met. Approximately two weeks after you file a claim with the EDD, you will be contacted for a telephone interview to determine whether you qualify for Unemployment Benefits.

Quit your job?

If you quit your job you can still receive Unemployment as long as good cause existed for leaving your most recent employer. However, you must have made reasonable attempts to preserve your employment relationship prior to leaving. The burden will be on you to show good cause for voluntarily quitting.